15 December 2008

Holiday Cheer to You & Yours

Holiday greetings to all of my favorite fashionista’s! I do hope this holiday season has you out mingling with your favorite friends in festive frocks, creating special memories to last a lifetime.

I am absolutely loving my time in Kansas City; the Christmas lights, the non-stop holiday music on the radio and the huge portions of holiday treats that are in abundance all make my heart go pitter patter a little bit faster than normal. I haven’t seen anything quite as impressive as the Costco’s and Hy-Vee’s with their holiday feasts and treats – in Britain we have very very teeny tiny grocery markets that are about equivalent to the size of a filling station or Quik Trip as you call them state side. To prepare a holiday meal in London would take several weeks of planning and multiple trips to the grocery store because what you purchase at the grocery store, you must carry all the way back to your flat. I learned this lesson the hard way about three years ago. . .

I had just moved into my new, modern, freshly built flat that was so conveniently located about a block away from Paddington Station. I was hosting a group of Americans at my flat for a European buying trip in late November. Once my guests had arrived, I quickly learned that they would all be with me in London over their Thanksgiving holiday, so I decided to surprise them with an American Thanksgiving Feast.

As I put my list of ingredients together, I realized that I would have to start mini trips to the store to start collecting everything I would need. About seven grocery trips later, one home delivery of groceries and one trip to the American grocery store (yes, they have one in London, it’s quite popular with the American ex-pat’s working abroad – the store is filled with Fruit Loops, Oreo’s and Rotel), I had everything I needed to make a proper Thanksgiving meal.

Now, cooking a feast like this in a kitchen that has appliances that could fit in a Barbie house was a fiasco in itself, but it was a success! I was able to pull off a “spot on” traditional American Thanksgiving for my guests and we had a splendid time together on that day.

Cheers to this holiday season to you and your family.
Mitzy

www.mitzylondons.com

No comments: